Lizzy Arden holds a Master of Fine Arts in Book Arts + Printmaking(2019) from The University of the Arts in Philadelphia, PA. She grew up in San Diego, CA and began printing while studying for her BA with emphasis in Painting and Printmaking at San Diego State University (2016).
She currently works as a Graphic Designer/Print Assistant for SpeedPro Mission Valley, a large format printing & graphics company. She has previously worked for Brighton Press as a Studio Assistant working on fine press limited edition artist books, completed an internship at Wells Book Arts Summer Institute, and spent a few years as a freelance designer & printer.
She is based in San Diego, CA. She loves going to local swap meets and thrift stores, exploring nature, and cooking new recipes in her free time.
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Lightroom
- Affinity Photo/Designer
- Letterpress Printing
- Screen Printing
- Digital Photography
- Non-Silver Processes
- Book Arts/Binding
- Acrylic/Oil/Watercolor Painting
- Large Format Printing -Inkjet, Latex, UV
GET IN TOUCH
Lizzy is always available for side collaborations and talks. If you want to chat about design, books, prints, or anything else, don’t hesitate in reaching out.
2019 Master of Fine Arts in Book Arts + Printmaking, University of the Arts, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Thesis: The Mirror Effect—Examining Effects on Women in Modern Day Society
Honors: Harry Eaby – Carl Piccari Jr Award (2019), Student Employee of the Year Nominee (2019), Elizabeth C. Roberts Prize Award (2018), Provost Teaching Fellowship (2017-19), Dean’s Scholarship (2017-19), Cum Laude
2016 Bachelor of Arts in Applied Arts and Sciences with Emphasis in Painting and Printmaking, San Diego State University, San Diego, California.
Honors: Phi Beta Kappa, Cum Laude, Dean’s List
2019- Creative Papermaking Processes: Positive & Negative Stenciling with Kyle Holland, Wells Book Arts Summer. Institute, Aurora, NY
2018- 1859 with Dan Estabrook on Albumen Printing and Glass Plate Negatives, Penland School of Crafts. Penland, NC
2020-Current Graphic Designer/Print Assistant, SpeedPro Mission Valley, San Diego, CA. Design vehicle wraps, large format signage, and logos/illustrations for clients. Carry out printing processes from file set up to print production. Working with Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Bridge, Onyx RIP Software. Printing on wide format Latex Printers-HP Latex 360 & HP Latex 570, laminate/cut/weed/mask vinyl as needed. Design and manage email campaigns and social media.
2018-19 Print Services Assistant, University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA. Work with students, printing as needed. Laser printing, large format inkjet printing, and laser cutting experience. Knowledge of EPSON large-format printers on various substrates. Knowledge of Adobe Suite & Microsoft Office Suite.
2017-19 Graduate Studio Technician, Managed Multidisciplinary Studio spaces for Graduate Bindery, Letterpress Studio, and Digital Lab. Position required weekly/monthly maintenance on Vandercook proofing presses, EPSON inkjet printers, and other machinery.
Spring 2019 Artist Collaboration Printing, Worked with artist, Carrie Moyer, during The Atelier course. Multi-color Lithograph, University of the Arts, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Spring 2018 Artist Collaboration Printing, University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA. Worked with artist, James Siena, during The Atelier course. Assisted in editioning two different multi-colored etchings.
2016-17 Studio Assistant, Brighton Press, San Diego, CA. Production assistant for fine press artist’s books. Intaglio printing and edition preparation. 2016-2017 Freelance Screen Printer, San Diego, CA. Printed Silkscreen prints for San Diego Artist Neil Shigley
2020-Current Marketing Coordinator/Support Staff, Mt Helix Nature Preschool, La Mesa, CA. Created original branding, marketing material, and visual designs for this new business that opened its door February 2020. Manage social media accounts, email campaigns, website design/content, and connect with prospective families. Supports Director with managing tuition payments, activity budget, supply ordering, and grounds keeping.
2019 Secretary & Board Member, Philadelphia Center for Book. Philadelphia, PA. To manage planning of the Philadelphia Center for the Book events and assist in other related tasks as needed. Acted as Secretary by keeping meeting notes, planning events, scheduling meetings, managing organizations’ calendars. Philadelphia Center for the Book hosts yearly exhibitions, events, and meetings/gatherings for members and the public to become more involved with books, collections, and contemporary art.
2017-19 Student Recruitment, Communication with the public, table management at conferences and fairs, connected with prospective students verbally and via email for the graduate program at the University of the Arts.
Jan 2017 CBAA Volunteer Coordinator, Coordinated Student Portfolio Reviews for the College Book Art Association conference in Philadelphia, PA.
2010-17 Key Holder Manager, Joann-Fabrics and Crafts, Lemon Grove, CA. Oversee employees, scheduling, office related tasks, customer service, inventory management, ask management, receiving shipments, office related work such as: email, reordering product, till counts, employee reviews, system inputs, special order tasks, etc.
Spring 2019 Co-Teacher of Digital Printmaking, University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA. Developed and demonstrated digital and analog projects, daily artist presentations, worked hands on with students, critiqued student work. Main instructor for final project of artist book assignment. Required students to incorporate digital and analog processes into their artist book. Organized demos, one-on-one guidance, and graded students’ final project.
March 2019 Pocket Accordion Workshop, The Soapbox: Community Print Shop & Zine Library. Philadelphia, PA. On-going workshop demonstrating Hadi Kyle’s, Accordion Pocket Book, during the 2018 Edible Book Festival.
Sep 2018 Accordion Workshop, Philadelphia Center for the Book, Philadelphia, PA. Instructed participants on the accordion structure construction and method of using found poetry/found imagery. 3-hour course.
Fall 2018 Teaching Assistant for Introduction to Printmaking, University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA. Developed and demonstrated class projects to students, worked hands-on with students, critiqued student work, assisted in set up and demos, assisted with grading projects.
Spring 2018 Teaching Assistant in the Silkscreen Lab, University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA. Worked with students, critiqued student work, ran several printing demonstrations, assisted with grading.
2016-17 Studio Assistant Silkscreen Lab/Course, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA. Assist students, prepare chemicals, help with printing demos, acted as teaching assistance during Friday courses.
2010-17 Workshop Instructor, Joann-Fabrics and Crafts, Lemon Grove, CA. Instructed children and adults of all ages on Make n’ Take projects. Ran regularly one a month for 6 years. Craft project was assigned by the company. Attendees were on a walk-up schedule. Classes were about 2-15 people.
- Bound & Unbound VI: Altered Book Exhibition, Juried by Artist Melissa Stern, University Libraries, University of South Dakota, Vermillion, SD
- Make Ready for the Revolution, Kent State University, Kent, OH (Postponed due to COVID-19)
- Objects, CICA Museum, Samdo-ro, South Korea
- Printmaking as Resistance, The Morgan Conservatory Galley, Cleveland, OH.
- Variations of the Artist Book, City Hall, Philadelphia, PA.
- Wells Book Arts Summer Institute Show 2019, String Room, Aurora, NY.
- Art Unleashed, University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA.
- Phase Change, PAFA, Philadelphia, PA.
- Engaging Color, Philadelphia Center for the Book, Parkway Central Library, Philadelphia, PA.
- 55th Annual Juried Competition, The Masur Museum of Art, Monroe, LA.
- Pride and Prejudice: Gender Realities in the 21st Century, ARC Gallery, Chicago, IL.
- WIP MFA Book Arts + Printmaking Students, University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA.
- SGC International Member Print Exchange
- Bally’s Hotel Conference Room, Las Vegas, NV.
- New Prints: Advanced Printmaking, Second State Press, Philadelphia, PA.
- Work by Current University the Arts MFA Book Arts + Printmaking Students, University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA.
- Nasty Women Art Exhibition, Helmuth Projects Gallery, San Diego, CA.
- Bookish, Malcolm A. Love Library, San Diego State Donor Hall, San Diego, CA.
- It’s Alive!, Minnesota Center for Book Arts, MCBA Main Gallery. Minneapolis, MN
- Advanced Drawing, San Diego State University, The University Gallery, San Diego, CA.
- Black and White Photography, The Flor y Canto Gallery, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA.
- Spring Show, Communications Art Building-B Fourth Floor, Cuyamaca College, San Diego, CA.
- Annual GUHSD Art Show, 1st place Best in Show, Parkway Plaza, El Cajon, CA.
- Bernard A. Zuckerman Museum of Art (ZMA) at Kennesaw State University, Kennesaw, GA Book Arts & Private Press Collection, Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA
- Borowsky Center for Publication Arts, The University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA
- Special Collections, The University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA
- Malcolm A. Love Library, San Diego State University Special Collections, San Diego, CA
- Morgan Conservatory Archives, The Morgan Conservatory, Cleveland, OH.
- The Zine Library Collections, The Soapbox. Philadelphia, PA
- 2019 Harry Eaby – Carl Piccari Jr Award, University of the Arts. Philadelphia, PA
- 2019 Featured Artist of the Month, College Book Art Association
- 2019Wells Book Arts Summer Institute Scholarship, Wells Book Arts Center, Aurora, NY.
- 2019 Student Employee of the Year Nominee, Print Services, University of the Arts. Philadelphia, PA
- 2018 Penland School of Crafts Scholarship, Penland School of Crafts, Penland, NC Elizabeth C.
- 2018 Roberts Prize Award, University of the Arts. Philadelphia, PA
- 2017-19 Provost Teaching Fellowship, University of the Arts. Philadelphia, PA
- 2017-19 Dean’s Scholarship, University of the Arts. Philadelphia, PA
- 2010 1st Place/Best in Show, Annual GUHSD Art Show. El Cajon, CA.